Monday, December 20, 2010

The Accidental Cake Truffles

What started as a first attempt at peppermint cookies n' cream cupcakes... 


became a sinful chocolaty cake truffle.


Kitchen mishaps bring this boy to the yard kitchen.



In my pursuit of the perfect holiday cupcake for an annual holiday party, I found a first batch rather dry. In fact, I was straight up displeased with them. I nearly threw them out, and then I remembered bakerella's cake balls! How almost inappropriately sounding that name is, I was drawn to give them a try. If not during the holiday season, when would my kitchen be stocked with an abundance of chocolate - the non-dark, healthy-sometime-variety. So I got to work...

I crumbled cupcakes.


Added 1 cup of reduced fat cream cheese and 1 cup of powdered sugar, plus a dash of half n' half.

Then mixed with my handy hands and rolled into balls.


Once formed, melt chocolate-of-choice and roll each ball to coat.

Set on parchment paper and decorate with coconut, sprinkles, glitter - go crazy.

Let sit in a cool place for an hour or pop in fridge to set.


No one will know that the first batch of peppermint cookies n' cream cupcakes was nearly inedible.

...Unless you confess it on your blog.

2 comments:

  1. My girlfriend made bakerella's cake balls a bit back. They were delicious! These look equally as good. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Just turned a small kitchen disaster into a major success. I have a feeling my boyfriend will be asking for these again...

    ReplyDelete