Thursday, December 16, 2010

Overeating: Are Holidays A Good Excuse?

Overeating doesn't feel good. You have the dull stomach pain right after, the need to unbutton your pants or lower your stretchy leggings bellow your food baby...that's just the beginning. Over the years, I've read countless studies suggesting that one over-done splurge can effect you for up to a week. I'm talking about when you're full, but keep going, and going, and going - like the energizer bunny, only his plump cousin. This behavior during other seasons is called binge eating, but during the holidays, it's called festivities!

As someone who has struggled with disordered eating, I have to be particularly mindful during this season. That means planning workouts and meals, and not feeling guilty if I make it to the gym 4 days a week instead of 6. Guilt is a slippery slope, and I'd like to enjoy my holiday season without a side of this emotion. For me, that requires control - easier said than done. I find myself co-hosting a little potluck party this weekend that could easily turn into a food and drink orgy. While I'm taking the time to plan the menu, I am also considering how to navigate these tricky waters.

Here are my holiday party guidelines:

Alcohol
1. No more than three alcoholic drinks in one evening. 
2. Save the drinking for the social part of the evening, nick that glass of wine while I'm  getting ready and save about 100 calories. 
3. Spread out those three drinks - alcohol dehydrates and while wine and some beers can have health benefits, that's when I stop at one. 

Baking
1. I love baking, but it's a hobby I reign in during the other seasons. I find healthy alternatives for butter, fats and sugar in my baked goods. This party will be no exception. While I want to keep taste intake and may include small amounts of the highly caloric items, I will not completely sacrifice my healthy lifestyle for one evening.
2. I will not lick the bowl clean! This is a difficult guideline to stick to. Sometimes I chew gum whilst baking, however, the reality is, to make sure the flavors are balanced ya gotta taste the batter. No more than 3 batter fingers - I mean it. 
3. No guilt if I use an ingredient or two that I wouldn't normally use.

Activity
1. Workout the day after the party. 
2. Ideally, workout the day of the party. Unless stressed - don't need to start shoveling handfuls of chex mix in a bind for time.

Party Menu
1. Ah, yes...I will make healthy food.
2. I will serve vegetables - they will be flavorful and recognizable
3. I will not buy or serve anything with high fructose corn syrup or ingredients I cannot pronounce.
4. Vegetarian protein sources - enough said. 

Day-Of Nutrition
1. I will eat a normal-sized breakfast and lunch.
2. I will enjoy a taste of something cheesy, chocolaty, and rare to my diet.
3. I will enjoy myself without over-analyzing.

I share this with you so that you see, you are not the only one trying to stay on track this season. You can do it! Even if it means making weird-to-some-people lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment