Thursday, October 28, 2010

Can We Talk About Something Silly?

The weekend is almost here, and that usually means a cocktail or two for most of-the-age adults. While alcohol - wine and beer in particular- can have some heart healthy benefits. I have yet to hear studies suggesting that vodka is a nutritious beverage. As a life-long dieter or LLD, I know that vodka is a low calorie choice when it comes to liquor. However, I also know that it's not going to provide me with any smart fuel, and requires me to think about what I'm putting in my mouth, like extra water. 

Recent headlines have splashed across papers and news programs alike talking about the risks associated with mixing caffeine (an upper) with vodka (a downer). Think about what this type of cocktail is doing to your body. The upper will get your heart racing as energy levels increase, while at the same time, the downer will drain your body of important fluids and sedate your body's processes. While I'm not a medical professional, even the lamens explanation of the red bull/vodka type drink makes sense to me. 

Now there's a new kid on the block for us to write about: protein-infused vodka. Oh yes. It's true. Mike "The Situation" of Jersey Shore fame is endorsing Devotion Vodka, a casein infused liquor. Doesn't this already sound like a bad thing to put in your body? If I see a list of ingredients that sound foreign, I know to pass it up. And protein-infused vodka is a pass for Miss M.

I'm curious what other people think of the vodka-infused fad.

There are many alternatives to these dangerous-in-large-quantities drinks, and I encourage you to check out organic wine and beer options. For the ladies out there: studies show that more than one drink a day can increase your risk for breast cancer, so remember moderation makes a smart booty.

No comments:

Post a Comment