Monday, October 18, 2010

"So Do You Have Any Hobbies?"

As someone who recently relocated to the Chicago area, there's one question that I seem to encounter over and over again. The words ring in my ear, and inevitably, haunt my dreams.

At my recent wellness check up, my doctor was doing a mental check in to see if I'm unusually crazy, or just normal crazy. At 7:30 am, I can hardly say I'm in a perky mood, sans my usual green tea (er, coffee). She looks up past my chart, "So, do you have any hobbies?" This question and I have a history of being good friends. An avid over-achiever, competitive with most people who try something I perceive to be relatively easy, I have a looooong list of ex-hobbies. But, I gotta admit. She stumped me.

Having recently settled with the fact that I may be living in this one city for an extended amount of time, I find myself dull and hobbie-less. Or rather embarrassed by my truly unique (er strange) hobbies.

Since my childhood (about 10, just a guess) I have been dieting. Ah, yes, battling the bulge, binging, eating only grapefruit, not eating much at all - I have spent a lifetime dieting. Trying this fad or that, watching other women around me make poor decisions for the sake of vanity as I graduated pant sizes. When I was old enough to learn the difference between dieting and being healthy, I made that change. My hobby went from dieting to learning about nutrition and exercise and wellness and self-esteem. And along the way I began working with girls as a mentor, volunteer, and employee, in addition, to dolling out my usual advice to friends. The two hobbies clicked, and only after speaking to a registered dietitian last week did I realize the wealth of knowledge and story I posses.

This blog is just what the title suggests: mind over booty. I have, and plan to continue to accomplish health and happiness by thinking beyond the guilt and size of my booty to make the balanced choices for tomorrow. I hope that you'll join me as I share recipes, tips, and inspiration to honor our minds and cute booties.

Cheers to another healthy, happy and active day!
Miss M


***I am not an expert. These posts will share my personal experience about what has worked for me, and what I value. Remember to consult a doctor if you are beginning a long weight loss journey. Good luck!

1 comment: