Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Name Is Miss M, and I Am A Proud Snack Packer!

I'm back from a whirlwind 24 hours in Las Vegas for a busy workation. My initial thought was: this is where gluttony thrives and the illusion of American opulence is alive and well. Part of my mission to maintain a healthy mind and booty led me to investing and believing in my authentic self, and my authentic self was not entirely comfortable in Vegas in part to the lack of meal and snack options for a healthy booty.

For those of you who have not traveled to this desert adult Disneyland, each hotel owns all the restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, and stores within their little kingdom. This monopoly of the strip makes my stand-by vegetarian chain-driven traveling menu choices nonexistent. With that in mind and a 4 hour flight - I packed this little bag:

Snack Bag - Luna bars, apples, almonds, Jason's Deli organic pepita crackers
That's right! It's a snack bag. I am a proud snack packer. To survive in any travel situation, you should NEVER be ashamed of packing healthy protein, carbs, fats and portion-appropriate options to fuel your booty. If you're like me, and a 5 to 6 meals-a-day person, a snack bag is your new bff. Due to my vegetarian nature, I keep a little box of on-the-go options in a cabinet in my kitchen for the purpose of portable fueling. I highly recommend everybooty start up a snack basket with a variety of options at hand. 

Here are my recommendations for a snack basket:

1. Raw nuts, such as almonds, peanuts, walnuts, or pecans. The important thing is the raw factor, as roasting damages some of the nutritional benefits. 

2. Whole grain crackers. Read the ingredients list! Whole grain or whole wheat should be in the first few words. 

3. Fresh fruit. If you like fruit cups, make sure fruit is sealed in water and that sugar is no where to be found on the ingredients list.

4. Snack bars. Now this is a broad category, with some truly terrible options, so use your mind! I'm calling out all you Fiber One Bar fans. Take a look at that long ingredient list. In the middle you will find high maltose and high fructose corn syrup. These are not good for you in any way, shape or form. In fact, high fructose corn syrup is banned in Europe! My safe list includes Luna bars, Pure bars and Lara bars for ingredients I recognize and a balance of nutrients including healthy fats, carbs, and protein.

If portion control is a struggle for you, pre-portion your snacks for easier self-control. Good luck in your healthy travels wherever they may take you! 

Stay tuned for more posts about Las Vegas, and enjoy your weekend.
Miss M



No comments:

Post a Comment