Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creamy Eggplant Pasta

 
 
For as many years as I have been dieting (aka my whole life), I have searched for a creamy healthy pasta dish. Once I allowed and accepted (good) carbs back into my diet, whole wheat pasta opened my eyes to the possibilities.

While I am not vegan, I do limit the animal products, in particular cow products, in my diet. Meanwhile, Grant Park (the bf), LOVES dairy products, in particular cheese. I came across a recipe in an Italian cookbook that used smashed beans as a base in a cheesey sauce. This recipe is my take on that lovely pasta dish. You'll notice I hit the jackpot recently in the form of a food processor. No doubt bribery from Grant Park to cook more complex dishes. If you have yet to hit the kitchen jackpot, a blender will do, or a potato masher.
 
While making the sauce roast 1 small eggplant, chopped and seasoned with salt and pepper, at 400 degrees Farenheit for 30-40 minutes. About halfway through start cooking 3 cups of whole wheat pasta, preferably a penne or rigatoni noodle.


Creamy Sauce Ingredients:

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 lg. onion
6 cloves garlic
1 c. vegetable broth
1 can garbanzo beans
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper


Directions:

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat, add chopped onion and saute until translucent.



2. Roughly chop and add garlic to pan.

3. Drain and rinse beans thoroughly.

4. Add beans to pan and saute for a few minutes.



5. Add vegetable broth and seasoning to pan.

6. Deglaze pan thoroughly aka scrape off the yummy cooked bits from bottom of pan.

7. Transfer bean mixture to food processor/blender/bowl and puree until smooth. 

8. Taste your creamy bean sauce. Flavoring can be altered with more spices or olive oil.



9. Put sauce back into pan. Add roasted eggplant.

10. Drain pasta and reserve about 1/2 c. pasta water.



11. Mix pasta water and pasta into sauce and eggplant mixture.



12. Grate (vegan) Parmesan over pasta and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment