Tuesday, November 2, 2010

L'Omlette



I had the great fortune to spend a semester abroad in South of France - Provence to be exact. Provence is two parts French and one part Italian. Everything I thought I knew about French Cuisine: butter, cream, chocolate, proved to be a stretched truth for this region of the country, except for the chocolate part, thankfully! Provence is known for olive oil, lavender, wine and fresh veggies. On my way to class everyday I passed through picturesque markets stocked with the freshest ingredients. 




While my host mom was quite the character. Literally, large hair, petite, avid hiker. She accused me of eating too many bon bons aka peanuts, which I stashed in my room for travel snacks. Luckily, we had a neighbor who knew a thing or two about cooking and taught me some of the most delicious and simplest French recipes. Most of which intimidate that pants off of the average American. 

Eggs are rarely eaten for breakfast in France. Instead it is their equivalent of pizza. Leftover ingredients from the week are tossed in as the filling, and this protein-rich dish will fill you up with the warmth of simple, beautiful food. Here I tried to document the journey of L'Omlette in photos. I invite you to try to make one of your own creation with veggies and herbs you have laying around. 


Tools:

Well loved pan (larger than you think)
heat-proof spatula


Ingredients:

olive oil
2 whole cage free eggs
4 cage free egg whites
1/3 c. unsweetened soymilk (note: only soy milk can really stand up to heat)
2 Tbs. cold water
2 cloves garlic minced
pinch of salt, pepper, herbs

1 c. chopped tomatoes
8 chopped green olives
1 c. frozen spinach
2 oz. goat cheese
1 tsp. dijon mustard


Directions:


 Drizzle olive oil, with clean hands spread it over the bottom and sides of the pan until fully coated.
 Crack 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites into a bowl.
Measure and mix in non dairy milk and spices. Whip mixture until combined.


 Heat pan to low-medium.
 Pour eggs into pan. Let it set for three minutes.
 Put chopped veggies, cheese, fillings on top of egg mixture.
Skim the rim of the pan with spatula to make sure nothing is sticking to the sides. Let sit for another 5 minutes.
 Once the eggs look firm. Slide spatula under on side.
 Fold over egg mixture.
 Tilt pan to help inside eggs cook for 1 minute.
 Cut in half and serve with a petite salade.
Insides should be a little gooey. If you are concerned about raw eggs, feel free to put a lid on the omlette for a few minutes to steam the inside.

2 comments:

  1. http://veganmofo.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/its-called-vegan-mofo-for-a-reason/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitt, your comment is appreciated. I am proud to participate in Vegan Mofo, and like many other participants, I am a vegetarian who cooks many vegan meals. When I use animal products I choose humane and local egg and dairy products, such as cage-free and organic. According to Vegan Mofo's purpose: "The idea is to write as much as you can all month, about vegan food." Vegan Mofo also explained, "There aren’t strict guidelines for how often to write, but the idea is to shoot for every weekday, or about 20 times in the month." I interpreted these guidelines as a welcome invite to vegetarians to focus more on vegan food, and you will find many vegan recipes on this website. When I prepared this non-vegan recipe, I did not tag my post on twitter or call any attention to it with an association with Vegan Mofo out of respect. However, the guidelines from Vegan Mofo are unclear and do not state that blogger content should be only vegan. Again, I interpreted the rules to be an open invite and challenge to all vegetarian and vegan bloggers to spread knowledge and awareness.

    ReplyDelete