Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Savory Acorn Squash Soup

Yesterday Grant Park (my +1) and I met for a little lunch date. It was a welcome change to the average work day. However, we found ourselves at the overly oily South Water Kitchen. I tried my best to navigate the menu, but somehow ended up with too much grease in my belly and a surprise cheese on my sandwich.

Please ignore the shadows and poor photography :)
After work, we voted and I was in the mood for something warm and super healthy. A vegan soup that takes advantage of the flavorful vegetables that marinate in the broth. This is comfort food and reminds me of my love for noodle soup. Yes, it has that brothy salty flavor with so few ingredients. The secret to almost any squash soup is apple. The slight sweetness adds a beautiful balance to the rich texture. If you don't stock your cabinet with some of the seasonings used, feel free to substitute. You can't go wrong!


Ingredients:
Secret ingredient to squash soup

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 acorn squash
3 carrots
2 organic celery stalks
2 cloves garlic
1 apple
4 c. vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. curry powder


Directions:


1. Cut squash in half and dispose of seeds.

2. Cut along ridges of squash and peel each section.




3. Chop and peel all veggies, except celery.

4. Heat olive oil in pot and add all veggies except squash. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Add squash, bay leaf and broth to pot. 



6. Stir and heat to boil.

7. Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes.

8. Puree soup in batches in food processor.


9. Return soup to pot and mix in seasoning.


10. Serve in a big ol' bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment