Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Surplus & Polenta Crust

With the turn of events in my family I find myself hosting Thanksgiving - for the first time! On Saturday I was on caretaker duty and scanned recipes of my mom's famous dishes. Her stuffing is particularly memorable, but I find that everyone's family stuffing is the one they prefer most. The ingredients list for this recipe simply reveals the seasonings - no measurements. Real helpful. It just might be my mom's way of remaining indispensable. As a result she has been given the duty of official taste tester to make sure the dishes stay intact with all their historical flavors. 

After menu planning, I tackled my Thanksgiving shopping, with the help of a sister. I found myself buying many items in bulk as a car ride to the grocery store is rare for this city (er, train riding) girl. When I unpacked all my goodies I noticed I had a remarkable amount of corn meal, both in my cabinets and on the counter. I scoured my favorite cookbooks for something inspiring and settled on a Mollie Katzen recipe for deep dish pizza. I share with you a variation of the crust. Mollie, a vegetarian chef, gives readers a fabulous foundation - I kicked it up with some additions. I'm adding this recipe to my rotation as a crust for other dishes. I think this would substitute well for many dishes requiring a savory crust. 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 c. cold water
2 c. boiling water
cooking spray


Directions:

Heat oven to 375 F

Combine all ingredients, except hot water



Boil water, and add in cold ingredients

Cook for 10 minutes, whisking, over low heat whisking


Grease a pie pan, and spread an even layer

Bake for 50 min

No comments:

Post a Comment